Bananas Foster is one of my favorite desserts, but not one I've seen on many restaurant menus lately, nor one I've had in years. After seeing a few variations on Pinterest the last few days, I decided to make it myself. All the recipes were for much larger servings than what I needed, so I created my own recipe, to make only one serving.
Bananas Foster for One
1 1/2 Tbsp. butter
pinch of cinnamon
1/4 cup loosely packed brown sugar
1 ounce dark rum
1 ounce banana liqueur
You will need:
Small, non stick skillet
Bowl of vanilla ice cream - about 1 scoop
1. Melt butter in a small non stick skillet over low heat.
2. Stir in brown sugar and cinnamon to create a bubbly syrup.
3. Stir in the banana liqueur.
4. Slice banana into quarters, add to skillet and fry until they begin to soften and brown - about 6 minutes.
5. Carefully add rum and heat, until rum is warmed.
6. Remove skillet from burner and light sauce with a match.
7. Swirl pan until flames subside.
8. Remove bananas from skillet, place over ice cream, then pour remaining sauce over vanilla ice cream.
Total time: From making the dessert to sitting down and enjoying it - only about 15 minutes.