Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Living Life Creatively

Lately there's been quite a buzz in the craft world about living a creative life.  This means different things to everyone, but I keep finding myself pondering what it means to me.  As someone trying to earn a full time living from their creativity, this topic is especially relevant to me. 

One of my favorite novels from childhood, Alice in Wonderland, contains many important lessons, one of which is that things are only impossible if you believe them to be.  This is a philosophy I always attempt to follow, especially with regard to my creativity, and the reason hearing the word "can't" is such a huge pet peeve for me.  My approach toward creating often involves inspiration from unlikely sources which results in what most people would dismiss as a crazy idea.  However, many creative people will tell you there's no such thing as a crazy idea - another philosophy which I embrace fully.  The first through fifth attempts at bringing the idea to reality may fail, but each attempt provides learning opportunities and gets you closer to the goal. 

Thomas Edison once said, "I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward."  While I'm much more a fan of Tesla than I am of Edison, I have to admit that I agree with this philosophy.

What are your views or tips toward living a creative life?  Do you have any favorite quotes that inspire your creativity?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails