Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Whirlwind Weekend in NYC

I'm finally recovered enough from my whirlwind trip to New York City to write a quick blog post about the trip.  Whenever I visit, I always come home filled with creative energy and that was especially true this time.

My friend Niffer, of 19Moons, accompanied me as we left my home outside Pittsburgh, PA to head to Nostalgia Guest House in the Carroll Gardens neighborhood of Brooklyn, NY on Saturday, the 23rd.  We encountered sunny days, daytime temperatures in the mid-70's, and slightly lower nightime temperatures for our trip.  We checked into our room, unpacked, changed for our evening adventures, then headed to dinner at Dao Palate on Flatbush Avenue.

After dining on delicious asian-inspired vegetarian cuisine made from fresh, local, organic ingredients, we headed to the John Fluevog shoe store.  There we tried on boots we'd been drooling over online to see how they fit, wished there would soon be a sale on the boots we liked, and took a few fun but silly pictures.  From Fluevog's we headed to Times Square to see the Gary Numan concert we had tickets to.  Emilie Autumn was scheduled to open for him and I was really looking forward to seeing her perform so I was quite disappointed when we arrived and I learned that she had cancelled.  My disappointment quickly turned to pleasant surprise, however, when we learned that Rasputina would be performing in her place.  They even played a cover of The Smiths song "How Soon is Now" which we liked even better than the original, which is not easily done.  You may be wondering which Smiths song I'm referring to, so I'll help you out - it's their song in which the predominate lyric from the chorus is "I am human and I need to be loved."  I'll bet you know which song I'm referring to now, don't you?  Following the phenomenal performance by Rasputina, Gary Numan took the stage and performed the entire Pleasure Principle album, or at least most of it.  He also performed a few new numbers, which reminded me a bit of Ministry and which I really enjoyed.

Sunday, the majority of the day was devoted to the reason for our trip - vending at the Brooklyn Indie Market's Steampunk Day on Sunday, October 24th.  My next post will include full details about the event, so please be patient.  After a fabulously successful day of vending and steamy fun, we headed back to the guest house to change our outfits, and especially our shoes (our feet were quite literally screaming their complaints at us),  then went back out in search of dinner.  The place I'd wanted to try was sadly closed, so we headed back to Dao Palate for yet another extremely delicious dinner.

Monday morning we stopped at a gluten Free artisan bakery called "Everybody Eats" and purchased some delicious multi grain artisan baguettes and other gluten free bread products directly from one of the two owners.  We'd hoped to be able to use some of the bread for our breakfast, but it's frozen so you can put it in your freezer at home and then use it at your leisure since it's preservative free.  Fortunately, Tony Bagels was just a few doors away and we were able to get breakfast there before heading to Green-Wood Cemetery.

At Green-Wood Cemetery we were greeted by the most breathtaking Gothic style gates I've ever seen.  Once we parked and got out of the car, we followed the sound of bird song to the bell tower at the gates and discovered several nests made by several lovely little green parrots, known commonly as Monk Parrots or Monk Parakeets.

We stood and watched the parrots for some time before wandering around the front part of the cemetery, enjoying the sculpture gardens, fall foliage, and a calm respite from the city.  After taking numerous photographs, with a contented sigh, and a fond farewell to our new feathered friends, we headed for home.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails