Monday, June 7, 2010

Monday Meals With Mincie: Strawberries and Cream

t was a bowl of strawberries and cream that began Mincie's strawberry growing hobby and led to my lifetime fascination with strawberries. When I was little, I visited her every chance I got. Each June, as soon as the strawberries from her neighbor's garden were ripe, he'd bring me a bowl of strawberries and cream. I enjoyed it so much, that it wasn't long before she'd planted a small patch of strawberries so I could have more fresh berries the following spring. By the time I was in high school, that one small patch of berries had grown to two sizeable berry patches and we enjoyed a variety of strawberry desserts as well as strawberry freezer jam throughout the year. Next week I'll share more strawberry recipes, but for tonight, here's the recipe for, what is for me, a bit of early summer childhood nostalgia in a bowl.

Strawberries & Cream:
1/2 cup fresh strawberries
2 teaspoons sugar
1 cup heavy whipping cream or milk
1) Wash and hull strawberries

2) Chop strawberries into a coarse dice.

3) Cover strawberries with sugar. Use a fork to mix sugar with the berries and gently smash the berries, until juice begins to run and sugar is dissolved.

4) Pour whipping cream or milk over berries and enjoy.

2 comments:

Mrs.Kwitty said...

Mmmm...that sounds scrummy! I love strawberries too :o)
Smiles, Karen

Hey, I have a really cute strawberry treasury in TEast right now that you might enjoy...
http://www.etsy.com/treasury/4c069c4d70286d91cfe73ff8/sweet-summer-berries

BarkerBell Herbs and Heirlooms said...

Karen,

It is delicious! When I was little it was always made with cream, but I use milk on mine now. Strawberries are also delicious prepared like this, but topped with low fat Cool Whip instead of the "cream".

Tam

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails