Monday, May 24, 2010

Monday Meals with Mincie: Sweet Tea

As long as I can remember, Mincie always had sweet tea in her refrigerator, in a yellow ceramic pitcher.  While I now possess the pitcher, it's far too valuable to me to actually use for tea, so it sits in a prime location in my kitchen as a decorative piece.  My father especially loves sweet tea and their refrigerator isn't complete without it so I learned to make it at an early age.  For me, it's more of a summertime drink so I haven't had any for awhile, until yesterday.  Since then, I've been drinking sweet tea with every meal and it seemed a fitting offering for today's entry.

Saturday, we left our home in the morning, stopped in NC for the night, then drove on down to Seabrook Island, SC Sunday.  Our housesitter is settled in and our dogs seem happy with him, so all is well at home.  Here, the smell of Star Jasmine hangs in the air while a chorus of tree frogs sings outside my window and I have a week to enjoy the relaxed pace of the South.  I can't ask for anything more, except perhaps a glass of sweet tea in hand while relaxing on the porch.

How to make Mincie's sweet tea:
6 regular size tea bags (or 3 family size ones - I use Luzianne brand)
2 cups cold water
1 cup sugar

1)  Put 2 cups water in a saucepan.

2)  Add tea bags to the saucepan.

3)  Bring water to a boil, then turn off heat.

4)  Allow the tea to steep, then pour warm tea into a quart pitcher.

5)  Add sugar to pitcher while tea is still warm and stir to dissolve.

6)  Fill the pitcher the rest of the way with cold water, refrigerate and enjoy.

Note:  You can also reduce the amount of water and add ice cubes to fill the pitcher if you're feeling impatient.

Sun Tea variation: (method I use)
Quart sized jar or other clear glass container with a lid
1 quart of cold water
3 family sized tea bags (or 6 regular sized ones)
1 cup sugar

1)  Fill glass jar with water.
2)  Add tea bags.
3)  Secure lid to keep debris out of the water.
4)  Set outside in the sun until tea reaches the desired color.
5)  Bring inside and add 1 cup of sugar.  Stir until dissolved.
6)  Refrigerate until cold.

The sun will warm the water, but it will not reach high enough temperatures to kill any bacteria that may be present in the water.  If the tea looks strange - such as being extra thick or syrupy or has strands in it - discard it and try again.  This is not, however, a problem I have very often at all.

1 comment:

Shirley said...

I havent had sweet tea since we had a trip to Florida a long time ago. We stayed in Atlanta and that is the type of tea you got with your meal and they looked at you a little strange if you wanted unsweeten tea, but when you have a diebetic, you don't want sweet tea. We make sun tea at work during the summer months. It taste really good when it is hot. Thank you for sharing. Have a wonderful day.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails