Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Tale Tuesday: Fade Away Part 8 aka A Tale of Two Zombies

The next night, Lyn and Seth find themselves back at the Zombie Zone, sitting at a table along the wall.  They'd barely had time to order coffee, when Vanessa came bounding through the door, with her friend Eric following behind her.  Vanessa immediately went up to Seth, who stood as he saw her approaching.  She smiled, beaming, and gave him a huge, tight hug.  Seth, returned her hug, smiled, and said, "I'm glad you came."

"I told you we'd stop by", then turned to Eric and asked, "Have you met Seth and Lyn?"

Seth turned to look at Lyn, smiled, and answered, "We've seen each other."  He then held out his hand to Seth and shook Seth's hand.  "It's nice to meet you.  Vanessa has told me a lot about you."

Vanessa sits down at the table next to Seth, leaving an empty chair next to Lyn, which Eric quickly sits in.  Seth takes Vanessa's hand, and the two begin whispering to each other, oblivious to anything else around them.  Eric turns to Lyn, smiles, and says, "So, we finally meet.  I wanted to talk to you the first time I saw you, but I had a situation to take care of."

Lyn laughed and answered, "You did look fairly busy.  Vanessa told us a bit about what happened."

Seth suddenly pulled away from his conversation with Vanessa, "I couldn't believe it.  I have had women get upset with me, but never anything like that.  You should be happy she didn't throw the glass."  Then, in a mock godfatheresque accent added, "You want me to, uh, take care of her or somethin'?"

Eric laughed, then answered, "Nah.  I've got it covered.  Thanks, though.  I thought we could still be friends, but I guess she couldn't deal with it."

Lyn, teasingly asked, "Why?  Are you the kind of guy that women can't seem to resist or let go of?"

Softly, but seriously, Eric replied, "I'll let you be the judge of that."

At this point, Seth looses interest in their conversation and resumes talking to Vanessa.

Lyn, slightly sarcastically, hesitantly, asks, "So what do you do when you're not breaking women's hearts?"

Eric, laughs, then answers, "I work for a local theater but seem to be spending much of my time trying to adjust to my new zombie lifestyle."

"Working for a theater sounds interesting.  I used to act, now I just watch from the audience.  I can identify with you needing to adjust to being a zombie.  It's not easy being a zombie."

"I used to act too.  For one of my auditions I recited my favorite soliloquy from Shakespeare:
She should have died hereafter;
There would have been a time for such a word. -
Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,
creeps in this petty pace from day to day.
That's all I can remember, though, and I don't remember which play it was from.  I find it oddly fitting, now that I'm a zombie, though."

Lyn's eyes lit up, as much as they could in their undead, decaying state, and she smiled as she replied, "I know it well.  It's one of my favorites too.  It's from Macbeth, right after he learns that his wife killed herself."

Eric is obviously impressed as he says, " That's it."

Lyn begins to recite, finishing the quote, "To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death.  Out, out brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow; a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more:  it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing."

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails