Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Tale Tuesday: Fade Away Part 7 aka A Tale of Two Zombies

The next night, Seth is sitting at the table in the center of the room, parallel to the window, with a bouquet of flowers under his chair. Anna walks in, sees him, smiles, and approaches the table.  Seth returns her smile, while reaching under his chair, grabbing the bouquet of flowers, then standing and handing them to Anna.  "Hi. I was getting so hungry I was starting to worry that I was going to have to eat these."

Anna beamed, smelled the bouquet, and laughed as she said, "It's a good thing I got here when I did, then.  Thank you!  These are great! I was looking forward to seeing you tonight, but I wasn't expecting flowers."

As they both sat down at the table, Seth said, "I was looking forward to seeing you tonight too."

Anna, smiled and replied,  "I'm glad you asked me out.  No one has ever given me flowers on a first date before. I usually only get them after a fight."
Seth grinned and said, "Stick with me; I'm willing to bet that you'll get them for no apparent reason more often."
Anna said, "That would be nice."
Seth suddenly blurted out, "So, do you want to stay here or go somewhere for dinner?"

Anna seemed slightly off guard as she replied, "Oh, I hadn't really thought about it. Dinner would be nice, though. I didn't have time to eat before I came.  But, could we go somewhere dark?  I'm not in the mood to be stared at."

Seth nodded, "I know a place we can walk to from here that's dark and zombie friendly.  What do you say we get out of here, then?"

Anna, sighing with relief, "Sounds perect!"
The two stand, and walk to the door. As they approach the door, Seth steps in front of her and opens the door, holding it for her.

Anna beamed and said, "Thank you. What a gentleman, I’m impressed.  You may be undead but you definitely get points for politeness."

Seth laughed and they walked out the door and down the sidewalk to an Italian restaurant close by.

They are seated, across from each other, at a small square table covered with a white tablecloth. In the middle of the edge of the table is a lit votive candle. As they sit, gazing into each other's eyes, Seth reaches across the table and gently grasps Anna's hands.  "I just have to tell you that I'm really glad I met you. It's been a long time since I met anyone I was interested in at all.  I'm just sorry I didn't meet you before I became a zombie."
Anna answered, "Well, I'm glad you feel that way. I'm glad I met you too and I don't mind that you're a zombie."

Seth suddenly changed the subject and enthusiastically asked, "Are you close to your parents?"
Anna replied, "My father still lives in Georgia, but my mom doesn't. My parents divorced when I was in high school."
"That's hard for me to imagine. My parents are still together."
"It always seemed like they had the perfect marriage, but suddenly they decided they weren't happy anymore. They're both remarried now and I stay in touch with my father and step-mother, but I never really see or talk to my mother anymore."

Seth, concerned, asked "Why not?"

"I was always close to my father growing up and have always blamed her for what happened. Besides, I don’t get along with my stepfather at all. It’s easier this way."

Seth, still concerned, replied, "I could never do that. I'm really close to both of my parents, and I really admire their relationship. I hope to someday have a relationship like theirs."

"Yeah, well, that's a nice dream. I don't think that really happens much anymore, but I hope you someday find what you're looking for."

Seth smiled, and answered, "Every time I meet someone new, I hope so."

Anna blushed slightly, spoke softly, and simply said, "Oh."  After a brief reflective pause, she added, "I just hope that even though we're zombies we'll have time to find out."

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails