Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Tale Tuesday: Part 5 Fade Away aka A Tale of Two Zombies

"Yeah, Yeah."  Seth said, trying to ignore Lyn's last comment.  "Seriously, if I like someone well enough to date them and a relationship doesn't work out, I still want them in my life."

"I feel the same way, but if the relationship was serious, it's much harder to be friends afterwards", Lyn added.  "When a serious relationship ends, we've usually tried so hard to make it work that by the time we give it up, neither one of us wants to spend time with the other one."

"Exactly!" Vanessa said as if Lyn had summed it up perfectly.  "Besides, I don't want to be around a constant reminder that I made a mistake."

Lyn smirked as she replied, "Do you know what Oscar Wilde said about that? 'Experience is the name everyone gives to his mistakes.'  I prefer to look at it that way."

"Well, I have a lot of experience then", Seth said while trying not to laugh.

Lyn turns to Vanessa, "I noticed you have a bit of an accent.  You didn't grow up around here, did you?"

Vanessa smiles as if she's internally laughing at a private joke before replying, "Czech Republic." She paused for effect before continuing, "Actually, I grew up in Georgia.  I moved here to get a fresh start.  Too bad I didn't know then just how much things would change."

"Do you still work?"  Seth asked.

"Yeah, but it's getting harder.  I work as a receptionist at the front desk of a hotel.  It was never what I wanted to do for the rest of my life, but now..." she trailed off, then continued, "It pays the rent.  For now.  You should see the looks I get from the customers, though."

Lyn nodded, "I know what you mean!  My job's not what I wanted to be doing forever, either, but at least I like my coworkers.  I'm in an office, though, so it's easier to blend in."

"Yeah, you blend," Seth interrupted.

"Funny!" she replied to Seth, then turned back to Vanessa.  "What do you really want to do?"

"You mean, what did I want to be when I grew up?" Vanessa answered, smirking.  "I wanted to be a writer.  Right now, I mainly write poetry."

Excitedly, Lyn replies, "So do I!  I read mine during the poetry slams here at the Zombie Zone.  You should come with me sometime."

"Zombie Zone?" Vanessa asked, as if she was terribly confused.

"Oh.  Sorry. It's how we've started referring to this place since it's one of the few places we can come without getting hassled," Lyn explained.
"Ah.  Makes sense.  The poetry slam sounds fun.  Sure, why not?"

"It will be fun!  You know what they say about us undead girls, right?"

"Undead girls just want to have fun?"

"You got it!"

"Can I come?"  Seth asked.  "I'd love to hear some of your poems!" 

Vanessa, slightly distant, looks at her watch.  "Sure, uh, yeah.  It's late.  I should go," she says as she stands to leave.  "Nice officially meeting you two.  I'm sure I'll see you around."

Seth quickly replies, "Well, this is pretty much our hang-out.  At least here they don't care what we look like or how much we've deteriorated."

"Always a plus," Vanessa adds, slightly amused.  "It's mine too.  See ya," she waves over her shoulder as she leaves.

"I hope we see her again," Lyn said.

"I could get very used to that." Seth quickly replied.

2 comments:

Anastasius Widjaya said...

good dialog and maybe can be written in novel

BarkerBell Herbs and Heirlooms said...

Anastasius,

Thank you very much! This will eventually be a novel as each weekly installment comes together.

Tam

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails