Monday, March 15, 2010

Monday Meals With Mincie: Texas Sheet Cake

This large, delicious chocolate sheet cake was always a favorite whenever Mincie made it.  When I was in college, the iced brownies sold in the cafeteria were a close second.

Texas Sheet Cake
Mix and bring to a boil, then let cool:
1 cup oil
1 cup water
3 Tablespoons cocoa

Mix together and set aside:
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

Beat:
2 eggs

Add:
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla

Add flour mixture (first) and cocoa mixture alternately to egg mixture, beating after each addition.

Bake in a jelly roll pan at 350 for 25-30 min.

FROSTING:

Pour on cake while hot. Mix in saucepan to be added while cake is hot from oven.

Bring to boil:
3/4 stick butter
2 Tablespoons cocoa
4-1/2 Tablespoons milk

Add:
2 cups pwd sugar (or more to make right consistency)
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/8 teaspoons salt

Beat for several minutes.

4 comments:

Cottage In The Sun said...

This is everyone in my family's special occasion cake of choice! Yum!

Shirley said...

I love your Texas Sheet cake when it is still a little warm with ice cream. So yummy. Take care.

BarkerBell Herbs and Heirlooms said...

My Gram frequently made this for all sorts of family get togethers and my sister just recently made it for her youngest son's birthday. But, for all the times I've had it, I've never had it warm with ice cream. The next time I make it, I'm definitely having a slice when it's still warm with some vanilla ice cream on top of it.

Thanks for the tip Shirley!

Tam

Kathy said...

My mom, also in Pa....loves Texas Sheet Cake. I have never seen anyone make it down south, maybe I will be the first. I love your recipes and your memories.
~xx~

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails