Monday, March 8, 2010

Monday Meals with Mincie: Mad Scientist Moment in the Kitchen


When they were growing up, Mincie allowed her grandchildren to explore their creativity without ever telling then their ideas were crazy, even when they were.  My inner mini mad scientist would surface in her kitchen occasionally and while she'd ask questions to see what I was planning, she let me fail all by myself.  The most memorable of these failures is when I decided to use some of her extra pie dough to make a tart with a giant pixie stick for the filling.  While the inside of the pixie stick would have been arguably edible, for some inexplicable reason I thought cutting the large, striped, plastic tube into inch long pieces would make a delightful filling.  Needless to say, when it came out of the oven it was nothing but a lump of dough imbedded with molten melted plastic.   I don't remember her saying a single word as I sadly disposed of my failed creation.  She didn't need to, though, as I'd learned that not all ideas that exist in my imagination turn out as well in reality, but that sometimes you don't know how something will turn out if you don't try.

For today's mad scientist kitchen experiment, I modified the Black Bottom Cupcakes to create "Bloody Black Bottom Cupcakes" by adding red food coloring to the cream cheese filling prior to baking.  The mini cupcakes only take 10 minutes to bake and are as delicious as they are macabre.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails