Monday, March 22, 2010

Monday Meals with Mincie: Chicken Salad at the Cascade Room

The Cascade Room at The Bon Marche was a favorite lunch stop during shopping trips to the Yakima Mall.  It was a wonderful shopping respite, with its white tablecloths, impeccable service, and slightly upscale menu.  Mincie would usually order the chicken salad but rarely made it for herself at home.  Apparently it was a special treat reserved for shopping trips.  When I accompanied her on these trips, I'd often order anything but the chicken salad until I was older and decided to try it for myself.  Once I did, I understood why she always ordered it.  Sadly, neither the Bon Marche nor the Cascade Room exists anywhere other than in my memory, but the following chicken salad recipe is as close as I've been able to come to their recipe and elicits fond memories.

Chicken Salad
1/4 cored red apple, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
1/8 cup sliced walla walla sweet onion (or other sweet white onion)
3/4 cup cooked chicken
2 Tablespoons walnuts
2 Tablespoons mayonnaise

1)  Chop apple, onion, chicken, and walnuts into small pieces.
2)  Combine ingredients in a bowl and stir until well-blended.
3)  Spread on toasted multi-grain bread and enjoy.

2 comments:

Nancy Cook said...

Thank you for the memory Tamara- my grandma used to take us there as well! I do not recall the chicken salad, but I do recall the atmosphere there and I remember that my great grandma could never get enough of the tapioca pudding.

BarkerBell Herbs and Heirlooms said...

Nancy - you are most welcome! I remember meeting you there one year during Christmas, during the early college years.

My sister commented, on my Facebook page, "The chicken salad sandwich was always served on walnut bread. Gram always thought that's what made the sandwich, so when she found a loaf in a local store, she tried her hand at making the sandwiches at home. Since I can't find walnut bread, I put nuts in the chicken salad."

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails