Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Tale Tuesday: Fade Away Part 3 aka A Tale of Two Zombies

Suddenly, the quiet of the room was shattered by the sound of a chair scraping across the floor as the woman who'd previously been sulking in it rose angrily from her seat.  Seth and Lyn immediately turned in her direction.  She began to stomp away from the table, stopped as if an invisible force field had materialized in front of her, swiveled around, and walked back to the table.  She picked up the drink in front of the woman closest to her and, in one smooth motion, threw it at the man she'd been sitting next to.  He quickly darted to the side and the drink exploded against the wall beside him.  She then turned and stomped past Seth and Lyn and out the door with the slightly damp man following behind her.  As he passes Lyn, their eyes meet and she smiles sympathetically at him.  The now drinkless woman notices Seth and Lyn staring at her, with their jaws slightly open, and mouths, "That was my drink!"

Seth turned to Lyn, his hand over his mouth in disbelief, and asked, "Did you see that?"

"How could I have missed it?  I wonder what he did to deserve that.  I'm guessing she's NOT a sane zombie."

Seth reaches across the table and moves her coffee out of her reach.  "Why do women always assume it's the guys fault?"

"Hey!" she said in mock offense.  " I also questioned her sanity.  It's just that I'd never do something like that unless I was convinced the guy really deserved it.  I can't imagine how upset I'd have to be to do something like that, though."

"You'd never do anything like that."

"I'd like to think not," she said as she reached for her cup of coffee and held it up as if she was preparing to throw it.

Seth pretended to duck as he said, "Yeah, yeah.  Whatever.  Anyway, why do women always do that?"

She paused reflectively, then replied, " Maybe society teaches us to play the victim role, more or less from birth, and conditions us to band together against men.  Or we're just all a little crazy."

"Yeah, that's it.  I always said you were all completely nuts!"  He paused, flinching as if he was preparing to be punched, then continued, " So, even though you try to be unique, when it comes down to it sometimes you're just like other women?"

"Afraid so," she said while smiling.  "I guess I'm not perfect."

He nodded his head as if in agreement, but with a mocking shocked tone said, "You're not?"

"You've discovered my weakness.  Now you must die,"  she said jokingly.

"Yeah, there's a threat.  Besides, you'd miss me.  Who'd make fun of you?"

"You know I would miss you, but I don't think I'd miss being made fun of.  I have gotten used to it, though."

He suddenly started fiddling with a cross that hung from a chain around his neck and looked wistfully off toward the far corner of the room.  "Heather would have never gotten upset with me for talking to one of her friends."

"Ah, the ex again," she said, trying to smile.  "Have you talked to her lately?"

"Yeah," he said, dejectedly.  "I called her the other day.  She hasn't gotten sick yet and now she won't even hang out with me."

"You and I get along so well, I think we'd still be dating if you could just let her go.  Why are you still so hung up on her?"

"She was everything I ever wanted in someone."

"Except for the fact that she broke up with you?"

"Well, yeah, except for that.  She had her reasons for leaving.  She'll be back someday.  We're meant to be together."

"Then why do you bother dating other women?"

"What do you want me to do, suffer?"  Something about the look on Lyn's face convinced him she wasn't appreciating his unique humor right now.  "Hey, I'm kidding!  I just keep hoping I'll meet someone that will make me forget about her."

"Well, now that we're zombies we have more important things to worry about."

"Yeah, I feel better now," he said smirking.  "There's nothing like being undead to take your mind off your ex."

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails