Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Tale Tuesday: Fade Away Part 2

A waitress with short spiky blond hair approaches the table, puts a couple of napkins down and says, while smiling a forced smile, "Hey there!  Good to see you in here again.  You two back together?"

They both look at each other, laugh, and say in unison, "Oh, no, Beth!  We're still just friends."

Lyn smiles and adds, "It's best this way. We were a dating disaster."

Beth smiles, while a look of deep concern begins to cross her face.  "Still, one or the other of you used to be in here every night.  You haven't been sick have you?"

Seth nods while Lyn answers, "Yes, but I'm feeling much deader now."  She looks at Seth and notices he was nodding.  "Oh, no!  You too?  I thought you looked like you were, but I was hoping I was imagining things."

Seth shrugs, "At least I'm in good company.  Besides, I figure what's the worst that can happen now?  I'm already mortally challenged."

Smirking, Lyn replies, "Why sugar coat it?  We're zombies."  Beth steps away a little, looking concerned as Lyn looks at her and reassures her, "Don't worry.  We're not contagious and we promise not to eat you.  Besides, we're vegetarians now."

Beth, noticeably sighs in relief and adds, "Oh, good, then.  Just coffee for now?"

They both nod.  Lyn pulls a pen out of her purse and starts writing on the napkin in front of her as Beth walks away from the table.

As she writes, Seth looks at her and says, "So, other than joining the ranks of the undead, what else is new?"

She answers while laughing, "Not much, really.  A few weeks ago, before I got sick, I went dancing with Curtis and Evan and for once, actually met a guy I was interested in.   But, he left before I could give him my number.  The next night, we all ended up going out again, but to a different club.  I saw him there and quickly wrote my name and phone number on a piece of paper and put it in my pocket so I could give it to him when the opportunity arose.  Toward the end of the night I saw him in line at the coat check, walked up to him, pulled the piece of paper out of my pocket, smiled, slipped it in his pocket and said, 'Call if you want to.'"

"Why doesn't anything like that ever happen to me?  So, did he call?"

"That's the funny part.  When I got home, I took everything out of my pockets and the phone number was still there but I was missing a flyer for a poetry slam I'd picked up earlier in the evening."

"He must think you're completely crazy!  At least he won't be far off."

"True enough," Lyn replied while laughing.  As she returned her attention to her scribbling, Seth looked over at a group of people sitting across the room from them.  Their conversation had been barely noticeable, but seemed to be getting more animated as the evening wore on.  Just as he allowed himself to wonder what might be so interesting at their table, Lyn looked up and slid her napkin over toward him.

Seth picks up the napkin and begins reading from it.
"Riding the light through the prism,
Viewing hues reflecting images of the past
A kaleidoscope of color revealing
Red from failed relationships
Fading into green of emerging friendships
The refracted variegation
Reflecting the glare of disillusionment."

Lyn shrugs, "It's been writing itself in my mind for days now.  My mood is more grey than green these days, but grey didn't really fit."

Seth smiles knowingly, "You wrote that about me, didn't you?"

"Not really, why?"

"The part about failed relationships turning into friendships."

"I'll give you that part, but it's more a reflection on where I've been and disillusionment over where I'm headed.  Though, seeing you did help inspire me to finish it, so I guess it's partly about you."  She reached over, picked up the menu and began reading it.  Suddenly, as if what she was about to say was of the utmost importance, "Hey, there's something I want to ask you."

"What?" he said, hesitantly.

"In Green Eggs and Ham, are both the eggs and ham green or is it just the eggs?"

"I think it's just the eggs," he said, obviously relieved.  "Why?"

"They have eggs and ham on the menu and I was wondering if people ever order them and ask them to make them green.  Hardly matters.  Ham's not something I eat anymore, anyway."

"Well, I'm glad you won't be ordering green eggs and ham.  I might have to move to a different table if you do."

"You will not eat green eggs and ham?  You will not eat them in a bar?  You will not eat them in my car?  You will not eat them here or there?  You will not eat them anywhere?"

"No.  Shhh!", he said through his laughter.  "Someone might hear you."

"How about some grrrraiins, then?"

"You are sooo embarrassing."

"Hey, at least I made you laugh.  Considering we're undead, I think laughter's a pretty good sign that we're still sane."

"Yeah, sane zombies.  We're quite the pair."

2 comments:

Shirley said...

Will there be another part 3 of your tale? It was just getting good where you could really lose your self. I have read Dr Seuss Green Eggs and Ham to my grandsons enough that I could almost recite it from memory. I enjoyed reading what you wrote.

BarkerBell Herbs and Heirlooms said...

Shirley,

I'm glad you enjoyed it! There will be many more parts of my tale before I'm through. Check back next Tuesday for part 3.

Green Eggs & Ham is a tale I've read many times, both myself as a child and to my own children, so it's not surprising it worked its way in here. : )

Tam

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails