Monday, February 1, 2010

Monday Meals With Mincie: Hoe Cake


Traditionally, hoe cakes were cooked over coals on wide hoes, while taking a meal break when working in the fields.  Mincie would often make hoe cakes in a small cast iron skillet, for lunch or a light dinner, served with sauteed zucchini or yellow summer squash and buttered kernel corn.  The squash and corn came from her freezer, having been put up over the summer when they were in season.

Mincie's Hoe Cake

7 Tablespoons white self-rising cornmeal (preferably Aunt Jemima's)
1 teaspoon flour
3/4 cup hot water

1)  Mix together cornmeal and flour.
2)  Add water, a little at a time, until mixture is soupy like thin pancake batter.
3)  Spray 6 inch cast iron skillet with non stick cooking spray and heat on high until oil is hot and smoky.  Turn heat down to medium and pour batter into skillet.
4)  Cook until brown around the edges.  Turn out onto a plate.
5)  Coat bottom of skillet with vegetable or canola oil (can also use bacon grease). 
6)  Invert hoe cake and cook until browned on bottom (the part that was originally the top).

Serves 2, or 1 with a few leftovers. 

4 comments:

Southern Lady's Vintage said...

You are right!! That is how they made hoe cakes!! Are you a southern lady too?

BarkerBell Herbs and Heirlooms said...

My gram was a Southern lady and I am at heart.

Shirley said...

I have a cook book that is Southern cooking and there is recipes that I liked. I like the sounds of your hoe cakes. It would be the right size for us. I always visited your etsy shop. I liked your pop can brooches.

BarkerBell Herbs and Heirlooms said...

Shirley,

The hoe cakes are really delicious, with a slightly crispy crust and soft cornbread center. They are the perfect size for 2 people. Thanks for visiting my Etsy shop! I'm thrilled to hear you like my pop can brooches as they are one of my original designs.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails