biscuits. Simple, starchy perhaps, but utterly delicious.
Mincie's Baked Beans
1 cup dried navy beans
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon oil
3/4 cup ketchup
3/4 cup brown sugar
3 slices bacon
1) Rinse navy beans, cover with water, and soak overnight.
2) The following morning, drain and rinse the beans. Put them in a saucepan, covered with water, add salt and oil (or bacon grease), bring to a boil and cook until tender, about an hour, stirring frequently to prevent beans from sticking. Add more water during cooking if needed.
3) Once beans are tender, drain the liquid off and pour half the beans into a baking dish.
4) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
5) Top beans with half of ketchup and half of brown sugar. Use a knife to poke some of the ketchup and brown sugar down into the beans. Do not stir.
6) Add remaining beans and top with remaining ketchup and brown sugar.
7) Place bacon slices on top and bake about 30 minutes. Beans are done when bacon is cooked and curls on the edges.