Monday, January 11, 2010

Monday Meals With Mincie: Gram's Chocolate Milk


When I was growing up, every possible weekend night was spent at my Gram's house. Most mornings, Gram would make chocolate milk from Hershey's Cocoa and sugar. It was always in a tumbler I've never really seen outside her kitchen, and measurements were made using a tablespoon (from the silverware drawer) and everything went in "until it looked right." While this worked well for her, it has made recreating several of her dishes quite difficult. I have managed to master her chocolate milk, but am still working on many of her dishes to get them to taste exactly as I remembered. While they'll always be missing the critical ingredient of Grandmotherly love, I hope that I can faithfully recreate them and honor her memory.
Gram's Chocolate Milk
2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
2 teaspoons hot water
1 1/4 cup milk
1) In a large beverage glass, combine sugar and cocoa powder and stir until thoroughly mixed.
2) Add hot water until cocoa & sugar mixture is dissolved.
3) Add milk, stir, drink, & enjoy.
This recipe is not as sweet as modern chocolate milk recipes, but it's exactly what I want when I crave chocolate milk and it has a delicious, nostalgic flavor.

4 comments:

Nancy Cook said...

Tamara- I absolutely love the Monday with Mincie posts! This is a wonderful tribute to your grandmother. Keep em coming!

Kathy said...

Tamera~
What wonderful memories, so sweetly told. I am sure you grandmother is smiling.
Happy New Year
~xx~
Kathy

MerCurios said...

I'm going to have try this for Gabriel. Thanks for sharing.

BarkerBell Herbs and Heirlooms said...

So glad you're all enjoying this new regular Monday feature!

The chocolate milk is really quite delicious and more affordable than other alternatives.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails