Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Island Travels

It's been a while since my last blog entry as it seems that all my time for the past few weeks has either been devoted to preparing for our trip or to the trip itself.

As a Mom, I got the pleasure of locating everyone's summer clothes, washing said clothes, and packing for myself and our two young sons. This, in addition to making sure the house was clean and tidy before we left (one of many quirks I inherited from my mother). After preparing for vacation, I really needed one! My husband moans about having to lug suitcases to the car, pack the trunk, and drive all of us to our destination, but I think he has no idea just how easy he has it compared to all the behind the scenes work I put in just to make sure the trip can happen in the first place.

Every year we take a trip with my in-laws, even if it's just a long weekend, but most years we make the trek to Seabrook as it's my mother in-laws favorite spot, and for good reason.
We spent the first day driving to Mt. Airy, NC where we spent the night. The town holds the distinction of being Andy Griffith's hometown, but for us it's merely a convenient halfway point.

On the second day, after a brief stop at the Piggly Wiggly on John's Island for groceries, we arrived at the beach house my in-laws had rented for the week.

Although it's not an exotic remote tropical island, Seabrook is lovely and life on the island definitely follows a slower pace than much of the world outside. We spent our trip enjoying many trips to the beach, and exploring the surrounding area, including numerous trips into Charleston.

Favorite nearby locations include:




Rather than write one, long, lengthy post about the trip, I've decided to write a mini travel blog, with one entry per day for the time spent on the island. Stay tuned tomorrow for the first travel blog entry.

4 comments:

Denise said...

Ooh! I love the sea! It doesn't have to be tropical for me - in fact I prefer other "cooler" places. This looks lovely. I agree with what you say about all that involves being "mom" - same way here (and I always clean my house before I leave too - something about coming home to a clean home makes the vacation trip end well ;) Look forward to all your posts!

whyte said...

Looking forward to your vacation blog posts! Love the beach!

Cottage In The Sun said...

Oh, it sounds like a lovely trip! I will be trying to book our weekend trip to the beach today!

The Decorated House, Donna Courtney said...

What wonderful pictures. So happy to hear you had a good time even though it is a ton of work just to get out of the house but usually worth it.
Donna

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails