Tuesday, April 14, 2009

What to do with leftover Easter Eggs


Like so many other people, my boys and I colored Easter eggs this past weekend. My 10 year old drew designs on most of his eggs with crayon before dipping them in multiple different cups of color. Since we'd recently rented (and watched) the movie Bedtime Stories, many of his were based on characters from the movie.


I purchased 2 dozen eggs at the store on Thursday, thinking we'd color 12 and I'd have 12 left for baking. Somehow I knew, even at the time, that all 24 would likely end up boiled and colored. Julian had finished coloring the first dozen before his younger brother, Kendall, was even out of bed.


Once Kendall decided to join us, I had the second dozen eggs finished boiling so he could also color 12 (I must be fair and keep things even). His eggs took on a similar theme in keeping with his older brother's ideas. By the time they were finished, I had two dozen boiled, colored Easter eggs. There is a limit to how many hard boiled eggs we can eat. So, I was faced with the dilemma that faces so many others this time of year. What to do with all the leftover Easter eggs?


My personal favorite way to use the extra hard boiled eggs is to make egg salad, by chopping the egg and mixing it with mayonnaise and mustard until it looks right, then adding some chopped dill pickles to the mix. It makes delicious sandwiches.


For a slightly more fancy way to use some of the leftover eggs, you could also make deviled eggs:


Best Deviled Eggs (from my Southern Living Cookbook)

6 hard-cooked eggs

1/4 cup mayonnaise

1 1/2 Tablespoons sweet pickle relish

1 teaspoon prepared mustard

1/8 teaspoon salt

Dash of pepper

Paprika



Slice eggs in half lengthwise, and carefully remove yolks. Mash yolks with mayonnaise. Add relish, mustard, salt, and pepper; stir well. Spoon yolk mixture into egg whites. Sprinkle with paprika. Yield: 6 servings

Enjoy! Feel free to comment with additional ideas about other ways to use leftover Easter eggs.

More pictures of our egg coloring adventures can be viewed on Flickr.








5 comments:

KnockKnocking said...

Great tips!

BarkerBell Herbs and Heirlooms said...

Thanks!

Denise said...

Great idea! another great recipe is Cobb Salad!

BarkerBell Herbs and Heirlooms said...

Denise,

Cobb salad is another great idea! Thanks! Along the same lines, I always love Spinach salad with boiled eggs too.

Tam

Cottage In The Sun said...

my grandmother always made the best deviled eggs - yum - the only way I'd ever eat them!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails