Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A Taste of the Past (originally intended title was Home for the Holidays)

My brother, Jon, was very happy to see me!When I was growing up, my Gram and my Uncle Mack were part of every holiday. The year after I graduated from high school, Mack passed away and six years ago, shortly before Christmas, my Gram did as well. As I'm sure is the case for many of us as we age, Christmas is bittersweet and causes us to miss them all the more. While they may not be physically present, they remain with us in spirit.

I moved from Seattle, WA to Pittsburgh, PA in January 1997, the day after my Gram's birthday, so I wasn't anywhere close to home for my birthday that year. After moving here, it became increasingly difficult to make it home for Christmas. The next two years I literally couldn't afford to go, but Christmas 1999, when my oldest son was just past 1 year old, we made the trip. This would be the last Christmas I would spend with my Gram. Until this past Christmas, it was also the last time I'd been with my family over the holidays.

My husband is an only child, so it's especially important for us all to be here for Christmas and our boys, especially our youngest, have always celebrated Christmas the same way. Given all of these factors, we opted to fly out of Pittsburgh the day after Christmas and my sister convinced my Mom to wait to celebrate Christmas on Saturday. My sister, Ann, and her husband were the only ones who knew we were coming so everyone else would be surprised (and also so they wouldn't go overboard on gifts). I can't even begin to tell you how nice it was to sing along to "I'll be Home for Christmas" without feeling sad for the first time in nine years.

Ann intercepted packages for us under the guise that she'd mail everything to save on shipping, so we got to open our presents along with the rest of my family. One of my presents was decorated with a package tie Mack had made. His presents were always beautifully and artistically wrapped and his stunning gift wrap was as much an anticipation as what was inside the package.

In honor of our visit, Ann made several of the Christmas goodies my Gram had always made, especially Gram's Lane Cake and Pound Cake. The pound cake was always her favorite so when Gram passed away Ann naturally inherited the cake pan Gram always used along with her tin cake keeper. Eating a piece of lane cake, and then later the pound cake out of Gram's container, evoked many memories. It made me feel, if only for a moment, as if she was there. Perhaps she was, watching, and smiling at how I've grown since I was a girl of 12 and still sitting on her lap.

6 comments:

Denise said...

how heartfelt. thanks for sharing. we celebrate Christmas with traditions we have retained from my Grand-mère. It does make it special. I miss her too.

Tiedupmemories said...

Very sweet post! I have baking pans from my grandma who has passed away and I think of her every time I use them! I miss her!Those pound cakes sound scrumptious!!

Southern Lady's Vintage said...

Awww...how sweet and touching this post is. I am so glad that you were able to spend the time with your family!

BarkerBell Herbs and Heirlooms said...

Thanks, ladies! I teared up when I scribbled my thoughts in my Sudoku book and again when I wrote it today, but it's really nice to be able to carry on family traditions.

If I ever remember to get the pound cake recipe from my sister, I'll post it.

starrynightimpressions said...

Lovely post barkerbell :)
My heirlooms from my grandmom are so precious to me, because every time I see them they bring her back to me for a bit.
Happy blogging, :)
starrydeborah

Lori said...

Tam, what a sweet post:) i'm glad you got to spend that time with your family...holidays are very hard for me since my family moved to tennessee...i was so happy that my parents came to be with us this year for the holiday...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails