Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Steampunk Meets a Cracker Box Mixed Media Collage

My Steampunk designs have been a natural evolution of the Victorian style I am so drawn to and allows me to incorporate many of the things I love: Victorian imagery, recycling, and quirky items that are off the mainstream.

I frequently repurpose food packaging, such as cereal boxes or cracker boxes, for inserts while packaging to stiffen envelopes, or as a basis for a gift tag or collage. For some of my collages, I cut a shape out of a cereal box and then build my collage over the shape, such as an egg for Easter, a Shamrock for St. Patrick's Day, or a heart as the basis for my original poem "Key to My Heart" mixed media collage.
The latest venture took me into the world of ACEO's and thanks to a tip from ArtSnark, I discovered a fabulous blog called Paper Mischief. This blog led me to the fabulous images I used in my ACEO's which I built on a cracker box piece, cut to the requisite 2 1/2 by 3 1/2 size. Her Past Portraits group on Flickr provided a fabulously generous source of images and inspiration.
My favorite of these is my piece I entitled Steampunk Fairy. His wings are made of brass stampings that I antiqued (using a process I'll post a tutorial for in my next blog post), and his thought bubbles are made from vintage watch gears.
Please share your comments about other uses for upcycling food packaging, such as cracker boxes. I look forward to reading your ideas.

7 comments:

Kathy said...

These ACEO's are fabulous!!!!

BarkerBell Herbs and Heirlooms said...

Thank you so much!

ArtSnark said...

great pieces! Thanks for the shout out :D Glad you enjoy PaperMischief - Shelly is such a sweet & creative person!

Tiedupmemories said...

Love them! They are so much fun! I've been getting into making them too! Love your idea of the vintage watch pieces!
Tracy

Denise said...

fabulous!

Cottage In The Sun said...

Oh, those are awesome!
Once, a year or so ago, I started to use cereal boxes as backings for banners, but I didn't like how they turned out, so never quite finished. The boxes were nice and sturdy, though, maybe I'll try again!

bananaicecream said...

Beautiful Work!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails