Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Perhaps the Internet Hasn't Killed the English Language After All...

I had a post all planned for today and even posted a part of it on my IndiePublic page, but then I saw this video, and just HAD to write a post about it instead.




There are three sisters, Lizz, Alexandra and Invisisis (she's invisible because she's only 12), who have a YouTube channel under the username sistersalad. They have made several videos, but this one is by far my favorite!

As many of you know, incorrect grammar and spelling are huge pet peeves of mine, and I really dislike it when people type in all caps. I don't think it's cute or clever to ignore capitalization or any of the other online offenses people commit in the name of brevity or expressing themselves. I understand if you're texting and are in a hurry, or don't have a full keyboard, but otherwise it doesn't seem to me like it should be all that difficult to manage to write things more or less correctly. Computers even have this lovely little feature called "spell check." Sadly, not enough people take the time to use it.

I've never been a fan of rap music. I have nothing against those who do, it's just not my thing. I do, however, have a soft spot for the Beastie Boys (yes, I know many people will tell me they're not really rap) and Sir Mixalot. The affinity for Sir Mixalot has much to do with the fact that he's from Seattle. So, in addition to the content of this video, the fact that it was set to a Sir Mixalot tune, gives me yet another reason to love it.

Judging by the number of views they've had, it seems others share this pet peeve of mine and perhaps there is still hope for the English language to be used correctly online after all.

3 comments:

Debbie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Debbie said...

Hi Tamara....loved the video! I'm a former English teacher and that stuff just drives me nuts too!!! I even have a student in my transcription class who types with her thumbs...just like she was texting on a phone....yikes! Thanks for sharing. :)

Debbie
http://cozycottageblogspot.blogspot.com/
http://patchoulirosehome.blogspot.com/

BarkerBell Herbs and Heirlooms said...

Debbie,

I can't believe you have a student that types with her thumbs! Yikes! I'm glad you loved it.

Tam

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails