Monday, January 26, 2009

Homemade Hot Chocolate and Musings on a Snowy Morning

There's just something about snow that always seems to put me in a reflective mood. Perhaps, it's just because it elicits memories.

When I was young, my sister and I (and later our brother) could never wait to go out and play in the snow. We'd do all the typical things kids do in the snow - make snow angels, build snowmen, throw snowballs, sled... Once, we had grandious plans to build an igloo but never got very far before abandoning it for more fun pursuits. When we came in from the cold, Mom always had a steaming pot of homemade hot chocolate waiting for us. Somehow, it's not quite the same now that I'm older and have boys of my own. I take them out to play in the snow, get cold and often wet, then have to come in and make the cocoa myself.

The picture in this post was taken on January 18th, during our last good snowfall. This is my view while I sit at my computer typing. Snow still remains on the ground but most has melted. Today, it's beginning to snow again and if the weather forecast is to be believed we should have up to 6 inches before it's through. So, for all of you who'd like to make homemade hot chocolate of your own, here's the closest I've been able to get my Mom's recipe (she uses a big spoon to measure hers, not measuring cups):

Homemade Hot Chocolate
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/8 tsp. salt
5 cups water
1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
2 cups milk

1) Combine sugar, cocoa powder, and salt in a large saucepan and mix well.

2) Add a small amount of water to the above mixture and stir until a paste is formed, then slowly add the rest of the water.

3) Bring mixture to a boil.

4) Once mixture comes to a boil, reduce the heat, add the milk, and stir until everything is heated.

Use a ladle to pour into mugs, top with a marshmallow if desired, or some whipped cream, and enjoy!

For a more festive, adult version, stir a bit of Peppermint Schnapps into each cup (we called this version a Ski Lift when I was in college).

6 comments:

Debra said...

I am going to have to try that recipe!! Sounds yummy. Thanks for sharing.

Beth said...

Great recipe. That picture is beautiful, too!

Denise said...

Sounds Yummy. My son's always want hot chocolate after coming in from the snow -even though they are now 17 and 21! Some things we never outgrown.

Mrs.Kwitty said...

OOh, your post brings back nice childhood memories! I think I just might have to make a pot of your delicious hot cocoa to warm me up on this 15 below zero morning (brrr!) and take a little walk down memory lane..... with my brothers and I playing in the snow and my sweet Mom making us cocoa when we come in all rosy cheeked!
Smiles, Karem

BarkerBell Herbs and Heirlooms said...

School was cancelled today and my husband couldn't make it very far, so I ended up with all 3 of my boys home. My husband took our two boys out sledding while I stayed in and made hot chocolate. It's not quite as creamy as I remembered and I think next time I'll add a bit of vanilla.

Tiedupmemories said...

I love Hot Chocolate!Thank you for sharing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails