Monday, October 27, 2008

Wickedly Chic promoted one of my photos today!


I logged into my often neglected second Etsy shop and was surprised to find that one of my photos had been featured on the Wickedly Chic website in their daily ditties feature. I can't tell you how honored and excited I am! I'm a huge fan of the website and the indie artists it promotes. My photo will be permanently archived on their site and it includes a link to my Etsy site. Liz, the editor of Wickedly Chic, is also a co-founder and member of Marmalade Pink, a co-operative of businesses supporting socially conscious shopping. I try to shop handmade and local for everything I possibly can and am thrilled that these websites promote indie in the manner that they do! Have I gushed enough yet?

Zombie Fest was a blast and I met several amazing people, um zombies, but being undead is exhausting and I'm utterly worn out and dead tired (make that undead tired). Apparently there is such a thing as too much fun! LOL It was soooo worth it, though! My flickr is quite loaded with pictures from the weekend and pictures of me even popped up on the website for a local newspaper.
The Zombie Walk was part of World Zombie Day™ when all fans of zombie culture can join together in an international charity event done throughout the cities involved to help alleviate world hunger. "The It’s Alive Show”, World Record Holders for the largest zombie walk ever, will spearhead this event from the very birthplace of zombie culture, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA. The participating living dead are encouraged to bring a non-perishable food item to each zombie walk starting point. A mass effort will be taken on worldwide to prove that charity, goodwill, and zombie love can flourish in every nation regardless of race, ethnicity, sex, or religion, and that no matter where or how we die… "(from the It's Alive Show website)

I frequently watch people and tend to over analyze everything. My husband tells me I think too much, but he wouldn't love me as much if I didn't (think that is). For some time I've been fascinated with how liberating being in costume can be for people. It's as is they feel safe when hiding behind a mask, literal or otherwise. What I hadn't noticed until this past weekend is how being in costume can bring people together. For almost two years, my doctor had me on medication to treat my depression that caused me to gain weight. It allowed me to feel like myself again so I didn't mind the weight gain terribly until the day I stepped on the scales and realized I'd gained 75 lbs. while taking it. I'm now on a different medication and working to lose the weight I gained, but it's a gradual process and I often feel rather self conscious because of it. Like it or not, we're all constantly being judged by others. The criteria is just different based on where you are. This past weekend I was able to forget about being anything other than myself and have fun being zombie Monroe. It was unbelievably refreshing to feel accepted and appreciated simply because I came up with a fun twist on a zombie monroe costume, complete with a bite mark left behind when zombie JFK caught up with me and infected me with the zombie virus in the first place.
If you've stayed with me to read to this point, I thank you. Enough rambling for now. Have a wonderful week!


4 comments:

Denise said...

You look fabulous! What fun and congrats on the feature of your photo from your shop. How exciting!

BarkerBell Herbs and Heirlooms said...

Thanks so much!

Vintage Hotcakes said...

Great post! So full of positive insight. The gorgeous Zombie Monroe is um - amazing!!

BarkerBell Herbs and Heirlooms said...

Thanks! I found out yesterday that a picture of me is also on the WPXI website at
http://www.wpxi.com/slideshow/17817906/detail.html?taf=burg
(the sixth picture)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails